It’s disgraceful that we’ve allowed the problem to get this bad but luckily if we all take action now, there’s things we can do to help end plastic pollution.
Make sure you get on board before Earth Day on April 22nd! Below is the official Earth Day Organisation 2018 Campaign:
A World Without Plastic Pollution - Earth Day 2018 Campaign
From poisoning and injuring marine life to disrupting human hormones, from littering our beaches and landscapes to clogging our waste streams and landfills, the exponential growth of plastics is now threatening the survival of our planet.
In response, Earth Day 2018 will focus on fundamentally changing human attitude and behavior about plastics and catalyzing a significant reduction in plastic pollution.
Our strategy to End Plastic Pollution will:
• Lead and support the adoption of a global framework to regulate plastic pollution
• Educate and mobilize citizens across the globe to demand action from governments and corporations to control and diminish plastic pollution
• Inform and activate citizens to take personal responsibility for the plastic pollution that each one of us generates by choosing to reject, reduce, reuse and recycle plastics
• Work with universities, school teachers and students to End Plastic Pollution
• Work with other organizations and networks and make Earth Day 2018 a platform to End Plastic Pollution by developing resources that others can use and build partnerships.
• Promote the work that cities and local governments are doing to tackle plastic pollution
• Empower journalists across the globe to report on the problem and its emerging solutions.
Earth Day Network will leverage the platform of Earth Day, April 22, 2018 and the growing excitement around the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day in 2020. We will work with key constituencies and influencers to build a world of educated consumers of all ages who understand the environmental, climate and health consequences of using plastics.
We will engage and activate our global network of NGO’s and grassroots organizations, campus youth, mayors and other local elected leaders, faith leaders, artists and athletes, and primary and secondary students and teachers.
We will organize events in all continents of the world, build a global following and activate citizens to join our End Plastic Pollution advocacy campaigns.
In sum, we will use the power of Earth Day to elevate the issue of plastic pollution in the global agenda and inspire and demand effective action to reduce and control it.
The Sophia. contribution to the 2018 Earth Day campaign are our sustainable and reusable jellyfish tote bags. These sturdy, stylish and practical bags were made in collaboration with Ocean Crusaders in a bid to stop the use of plastic bags and work towards a more sustainable approach. 50% of the profits from the sales of these bags are going directly to Ocean Crusaders to help fund their beach clean ups and their work on educating the public.
Earth Day is on the 22nd of April but to ensure you do your bit to support the campaign, purchase an eco-friendly tote bag here: https://www.sophiamulheran.com/limited-edition-products.html
The Sustainable Living Blog
Throughout our blog, you'll find the best articles relating to zero waste, sustainable living, ethical choices, DIY projects, organic recipes & plenty of advice!